#makered Ugly Sweater success!!

Well, that wasn’t so hard. ūüôā ¬†I followed this excellent Adafruit tutorial.

And here’s the behind the scenes:

IMG_20141214_112548583_HDR
Connecting the neopixel: – to ground; + to vbatt; D10 to –>
Adafruit Flora
Connecting the Flora VBATT, D6, & GND
IMG_20141214_140912986
Underside of shirt

Some weird things about the code. ¬†The RGB didn’t seem to be working properly. ¬†I have v. 1 neopixels and red should be (255,0,0) but it’s (0,255,0). I thought it might be because they were wired for GRB, but green was not (255,0,0). It was (0,0,255). ¬†Since I got it to work, I didn’t spend much time making it perfect. So, just FYI, this is not normal.

And here’s the code:

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

#define PIN 10

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed:
// NEO_KHZ800 800 KHz bitstream (most NeoPixel products w/WS2812 LEDs)
// NEO_KHZ400 400 KHz (classic ‘v1’ (not v2) FLORA pixels, WS2811 drivers)
// NEO_GRB Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream (most NeoPixel products)
// NEO_RGB Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream (v1 FLORA pixels, not v2)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(3, PIN, NEO_RGB + NEO_KHZ400);

void setup() {
strip.begin();
strip.show(); // Initialize all pixels to ‘off’
}

void loop() {
// Some example procedures showing how to display to the pixels:
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 255, 0), 50); // Red
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, 255), 50); // Green
colorWipe(strip.Color(255, 255, 255), 50); // white

}

// Fill the dots one after the other with a color
void colorWipe(uint32_t c, uint8_t wait) {
for(uint16_t i=0; i<strip.numPixels(); i++) {
strip.setPixelColor(i, c);
strip.show();
delay(wait);
}
}

Cat Tracking Begins

So, I finally got around to starting my Cat Tracking project that’s supposed to help me learn some of this Arduino stuff. ¬†I took a workshop at The Hacktory, which was helpful. ¬†Thankfully, there are millions of tutorials and sample code online. ¬†Mostly, I’m just tweaking code to make it do what I want. ¬†I spent maybe 45 minutes yesterday getting everything up and running. ¬†Here are the results:

Ready to start

All the materials are laid out and ready to go.

All connected

Hooked up properly.

Flora gps

Hanging out the window to get a GPS signal.

Success capturing gps data

Success!

floragps

 

Putting coordinates on Google Map–pretty accurate!

Some issues I encountered:

1. I had to install the Adafruit GPS libraries. ¬†I tried to do it the automated way, but ended up having to do it manually, which isn’t a huge deal, but it took me 10-15 minutes to sort that out. (This tutorial was really helpful.)

2. I had the wrong Serial port option selected for a while. ¬†I usually use a tty option. ¬†Flora requires a cu option (usually usb). My program wouldn’t even compile until I got this right.

My next steps are to store the GPS data that the Flora outputs and then translate it into Google map data to create a visible path. ¬†I’ve seen tutorials for this so I don’t think it will be too hard. ¬†Then I’ll test it on myself. ¬†Then I think I’ll be ready to sew the Flora into the little bandana I have for my cat. ¬†Getting my cat to wear said bandana is going to be the hard part. ūüôā