Foot blogging

foot x-ray
My foot, prior to surgery.

When last I wrote, I was discussing overcoming the difficulties of being immobile.  Since that post, I have undergone surgery on my foot.  I now have metal and pins of various kinds in my foot, one pin is even outside my foot–fun.  I’m confined to my couch for now, getting up only to use the restroom.  I will get to moving around a bit more, but I’m doing my best to rest and promote the healing process.

Surgery went well as far as I can tell.  I did get sick from the anesthesia, which always happens.  It was not fun, and they ended up keeping me overnight because I couldn’t stop throwing up.  Right before they admitted me, they gave me a drug to stop the vomiting that felt great and made me very sleepy, so I slept most of the night.  Mr. Geeky went home to sleep and I was cared for by some great nurses.  I didn’t get out until late the next day because I had some wound leakage that they were waiting to have looked at by my surgeon.  They ended up changing my dressing and then I went home.

The first 24 hours were a little rough.  I did have some pain, which I took care of with some pretty heavy duty narcotics.  And those made me sick.  I do not do well with drugs.  So, I started taking just Tylenol, and now, 72 hours or so post surgery, I’m not sick and I’m mostly pain free.  To be fair, I still have a nerve block in my leg, which will wear off sometime today, so I may be singing a different tune later.

My daily view.

The Internet is both a blessing and a curse.  On the one hand, I’ve found some personal stories that offer some helpful advice.  And on the one hand, it’s an entertaining place, keeping my mind off my foot and the fact that I’m unable to move.  On the other hand, there are some horror stories out there, people with similar injuries who are still struggling a year or more later.  And on the other hand, Facebook is filled with people’s 5K stats, reminding me of my inability to walk much less run.

In the TMI zone, I haven’t showered since Monday.  Today, the family is getting the equipment I need to make this an easier process.  I have to set myself up to keep the left leg dry, not fall, etc.  The Internet has been very helpful in that regard.  I only have two pairs of pants that fit over my splint so my fashion choices are limited.  I was especially grateful to receive a Christmas sweater from one of my students that I totally plan to wear on Christmas morning, though I’m leaning to changing into pjs once I shower and just staying in them.  Hey, don’t judge. It takes me like 1/2 hour to put pants on.

The house.  The house is looking scary.  I am not a stickler for cleanliness, but my contributions to keeping the house clean are clearly missed.  Thankfully, I’m only seeing one room.  I don’t want to know what the other rooms look like.

My prognosis is good but it is going to be a long recovery.  Just after Christmas, I’ll be put in a cast for 2 weeks.  Then, I’ll be in a boot, still unable to bear weight, for 6-8 weeks. So we’re looking at early March before walking, even just a little, can begin.  It’s really hard to imagine this, and I try not to think about it.  As I’m doing now, I’ll just take it one day at a time, looking forward to when I can hike again.


3 Replies to “Foot blogging”

  1. Wow, this is a much bigger issue than I’d realized from your first post about it. What a long recovery period! Hang in there, and thank goodness for cute dogs to keep you company.

  2. I know. Basically, I have no foot structure left, so that has to heal, and then there’s the muscle loss. It will all be okay eventually.

  3. Wow, Laura, I’ve been thinking of you every time you post an update on facebook and wondering how you are. Thank you so much for the blog post, there’s nothing like some good old fashioned long-form writing, so refreshing!!

    (it’s annoying to be in touch with former blogger friends only from their sparse facebook posts. Sigh… I’m always very thankful for those who haven’t yet given up on their blogs).

    I think your plan to remain in pj’s until January are perfectly fine. Do you sleep on the couch too? I suppose your bedroom must be upstairs, so you cannot go there. I hope you can successfully ignore the state of the house and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you will fully recover and none of those internet horror stories will have any bearing on your experience.

    Keep in touch over here in the blog if you can! We’ll comment back!

Comments are closed.