So, I finally got around to starting my Cat Tracking project that’s supposed to help me learn some of this Arduino stuff. I took a workshop at The Hacktory, which was helpful. Thankfully, there are millions of tutorials and sample code online. Mostly, I’m just tweaking code to make it do what I want. I spent maybe 45 minutes yesterday getting everything up and running. Here are the results:
All the materials are laid out and ready to go.
Hooked up properly.
Hanging out the window to get a GPS signal.
Putting coordinates on Google Map–pretty accurate!
Some issues I encountered:
1. I had to install the Adafruit GPS libraries. I tried to do it the automated way, but ended up having to do it manually, which isn’t a huge deal, but it took me 10-15 minutes to sort that out. (This tutorial was really helpful.)
2. I had the wrong Serial port option selected for a while. I usually use a tty option. Flora requires a cu option (usually usb). My program wouldn’t even compile until I got this right.
My next steps are to store the GPS data that the Flora outputs and then translate it into Google map data to create a visible path. I’ve seen tutorials for this so I don’t think it will be too hard. Then I’ll test it on myself. Then I think I’ll be ready to sew the Flora into the little bandana I have for my cat. Getting my cat to wear said bandana is going to be the hard part. 🙂