So the last few days, I didn’t get to my daily decluttering. At first, it was because I was recovering from the robotics tournament, but on Sunday, Mr. Geeky started a process we’d been talking about for months: moving the office to the attic. This was a multi-step process, involving first cleaning out the remainder of the kids’ stuff from their old rooms (which were in the finished attic) and then changing out the carpeting. So Mr. Geeky bought and put down some laminate flooring. Once that was done, he moved the office furniture in, and then we cleaned out the old office to make way for a small guest room and down the road, a bigger bathroom for our bedroom (which shares a wall with the old office).
It was a big lesson in decluttering regularly. Years of stuff had accumulated. We found labels for 3 1/4″ floppies and for videotapes. There was fancy resume paper, old magazines, computer and gadget manuals. We’d just piled them up. So we threw out a lot. What we didn’t have time to make decisions about we put into bins and we’re determined to get them out this summer and go through them. It’s amazing how much crap we keep–because we think we might need it. But honestly, we couldn’t have found it if we needed it anyway. I had no idea we had disk labels! It’s still a work in progress, but we’re getting somewhere. I think I got all my decluttering in for at least a month.