Via Jackie, I thought this was a great meme. And honestly, I could have answered almost the same way she did.
1. Going to Rhodes College. Almost every day, something I did there or learned there helps me. Even my experience in a sorority has been extraordinarily beneficial. We actually learned how to make good small talk, which seems like a silly thing, but when you find yourself at a cocktail party with people who can advance your career or fund your project, you’d better be able to make conversation. The whole small liberal arts scene worked for me, though I didn’t always realize it at the time.
2. Marrying my husband. He is my best friend, and he has provided me unwavering support and great advice throughout the many bumps in the road.
3. Quitting my last job. I learned a lot from my previous job, but it was not a good environment for me.
4. Staying with my dad right after my stepmom died. A small thing, but something that brought us closer, and that I think was helpful to him.
5. Having kids. I was trying to avoid saying this, but it’s true. My kids are awesome, and my life would be much less rich without them. For all the frustration and angst they sometimes bring me (can you tell I have teens?), they provide much more love and fun and general joy.