Almost a month since my last post–whoa! Over the last few days, I considered closing up shop. I barely have time to read blogs anymore much less write in one. But, like Janet, I do find writing here when I can useful. I have a ton of things to reflect on and talk about. Here are just some bullets of stuff going on in my life right now:
- Running two robotics clubs, one of which meets every day after school–lots to say about what I do/don’t like about these two very different clubs
- Rethinking one of my courses, which is requiring new prep
- Promoting computer science, which is well-supported by the administrators and my colleagues here, though not always understood. I’m still fighting the perception that CS = learning Word and Excel or that CS is unneccessary because either a) these kids all know how to use their computers and so don’t need CS or b) all the jobs in CS are being outsourced. a) drives me more crazy than b).
- Struggling to find time to learn new skills.
- Getting frustrated by the CS education blogs I’ve been reading that make some odd assumptions about how K-12 works.
- Loving, loving my job. My colleagues are just awesome. The students are great, and despite working really, really hard–and a lot!–I love coming to work every day. I’m still getting used to the fact that people support my work and me. I’m used to something very different. I’m loving feeling like I’m in the right place.