It’s been a long week. I’ve attempted to start working on those resolutions I’ve made. Let’s see how I’ve done:
- I got up every day at 6:00 this week and made progress on the dissertation. This plan seems to be working. We’ll see how it goes next week when the kids start school and things might be more hectic in the morning. But I definitely like getting that work done first. That way, if I need to come home and collapse, I can.
- The exercise isn’t happening. I’m planning to do this in the evenings instead of the mornings. I’ve been sick this week on top of everything else, so I don’t feel too bad that exercise fell by the wayside.
- We wanted to go geocaching last weekend or this weekend, but the weather is not cooperating. We’ll aim for next weekend.
- I think I’ve been doing a good job this week. I’ve been responding quickly to emails and trying to resolve problems and accomplish tasks quickly. I’ve had some excellent one-on-one sessions with people that started out as “learning the technology” sessions, but ended up being more about effective use of the technology. Very happy about that.
- One kid event this week–middle school orientation. It was a scavenger hunt around the school which Geeky Boy kindly let me join him on. I thanked him for not ditching me and for not thinking I’m too uncool to hang out with him. And I told him it was fun and that I was glad to have the opportunity to see the school. Bonus: the school has a blog. Do you know how happy that makes me?
- No real inadequacy this week. Though I did feel a tad uncomfortable at the new faculty orientation. I was at a table with the provost and a very untalkative bunch. Two people did all the talking. The provost tried to elicit conversation, but that wasn’t happening. It just felt weird and I wanted to participate in the discussion about teaching, but felt like it would seem out of place. Sigh.
So, a pretty good week overall. A good way to kick off the academic year.